This item has an average rating of 4 from 74 ratings by the community.
Hedrus 7 days ago
So far so good. I am using 3.0 which isn't finished. The tools and documentation are great. I think there are things that could be improved but overall it's a really nice tool. I had no trouble installing it or using it. I would love to give ideas on ways to improve it. A Discord channel or something similar would be great.
killerferret about 1 month ago
Add-ons are suppose to make your life easier, not more frustrating. Everytime I try to run Retopoflow, it either locks up blender or wont allow me to rotate around my model. When I try to update Retopoflow, thinking that will fix something, the addon is nowhere to be found and therefore unusable. Its a constant, unnecessary battle that isn't worth the trouble.
fadi about 1 month ago
it has potential! but the developers just need to put some actual work into this thing. The intention is good but the foundation is not solid. I have had a terrible time trying to even get the add on to work. Half the times i get an error or it just doesn't install the add-on, and the other half was just errors trying to enable it. there used to be a documentation tab but it is a 404. Tried to find a way to contact the developer to get "support" i didn't find a single way of communication. looked for a discord or any tutorial to help troubleshoot this but i think the devs don't think that such problems would arise, so a setup guide is no where to be found in form of a read me or text document in the add-on folder. after finally figuring it out and getting the add-on to work, all the guides and pop ups came after launching the add-on, but just prior to that you are on your own pal.the add-on works on blender 2.82 !!!! so that's good news. you'd think that once you have it up and running it would be smooth sailing from here, NO! it is not! it feels like the same frustration that came out of blender 2.79 version. immediate reduction in performance, it is sluggish and choppy. simply put you have to carefully follow a guide or a tutorial, because you have to either use contours or polybuild beforehand, the polypen is just not an option. Yet, trying to use the polybuild you have to find a good stretch of geo to drag a stroke on it or else good luck getting any quads applied. The way that this add-on is coded it just doesn't handle trying to jump between the retopo options fast enough, and for that reason you have to go really slow, This just simply defeats the purpose. at its price point, you are either taking a laugh at people or just trying to upsell an unfinished product.
most of what you are trying to get done in blender can be done manually but either takes longer time or more key strokes, the purpose of an add-on is to simplify the process and make it easier so:
- get rid of that awful overlay, just disabling the views of other tabs and constricting you to just a slow software is not the way to do it, just bring it back to something that sticks to the side panels.
- add documentation, remapping of hotkeys, and other customization of the UI elements to the add-on tab just like any other professional add-on.
- add a hotkey that align selected edges to the X axis. having to drag them into place and not seeing them snap just feels sluggish, so try to improve on merging and snapping and clipping.
- maybe some buttons to toggle between view port visibility (in front), wireframe and back face culling if you are gonna keep an overlay that restricts you from clicking anything other than the add-on's tabs.
Long story short you have to find common grounds between the users, make the add-on flexible.
Retopology was never fun, it is will also always be a fine line to cross while to deliver on such a topic, but the main tipping point is that this is up for 86$ on a free open source software. most other great add-ons are at half this price range or are free with the option to support the devs. if this stays like this for long you are better off with speedretopo or using Bsurfaces for retopo, at least you'll be in full control.
i got this add-on to help my workflow but instead it became an obstacle..
Arafat Khaskheli about 2 months ago
I love this product and it is really making my work easy. Sadly it starts to bog down and now freezes the application altogether when I am so close to finishing my work. I hope the creators will fix this soon.
Coverop 2 months ago
The addon is great, but you'll need to wait till they fix several glitches and performance issues to fully utilize It in your normal projects otherwise, you'll get angry.
The addon is really user-friendly, despite Its complexity.
Find the right tool for right moment and It can solve your problem in the blink of an eye!
Jacob 2 months ago
Stay away from the addon if you are using 2.8x. The addon is completely broken. I was focusing on the face retopology, When I finish the face, I notice that it completely destroyed the rest of the body retopology in the worst possible way. 2 Days of retopology work trashed... At least I done the face [Crying blood right now]. It just took me 1 hour after buying it to regret.
lks 3 months ago
This review is specifically for the "RetopoFlow V3.00.0 Alpha". I attempted to contact the creators a week ago and again today but seems they haven't had a chance to respond, and I know the Blender2.8.1 implementation of this tool is still in alpha, so this review will definitely get reconsidered when the bugs are fixed. Also, if you're using Blender 2.7, please ignore this review as it does not apply.
For anyone who uses Blender 2.8+, just know that at present, this plugin is basically broken. I bought it for full price and it's pretty much unusable right now. There are a number of game breaking bugs which I'll list below, and I would report them to github but the link a previous reviewer was given is now a 404, so I'm not really sure how to officially report these bugs.
1) SpeedRetopo hijacks your currently centered blender viewport and enters some kind of SR context, which is fine (though it's too bad it doesn't just work in your existing viewport) except for the fact that entering and exiting the SR context successively results in a number of cumulative runtime inconsistencies.
2) SR clobbers a number of your custom Blender hotkeys (I would imagine this is necessary) but it incompletely clobbers the blender hotkeys, meaning that some keys mapped to other blender actions will interfere with SpeedRetopo. For example, I have the "F" key in Blender mapped to "center camera on object". SpeedRetopo attempts to clobber this key binding for its own purposes, but fails somehow and so it becomes impossible to use whatever tool is mapped to "F" within SpeedRetopo (I think the quad fill tool is broken by my hotkey binding). SR also does not have remappable hotkeys internally, so you can't work around the conflict by changing SR's hotkeys to some other shift+alt command.
3) SpeedRetopo rescales your source and target mesh object when you enter its context. It does not revert the scale when you leave the context, so I manually have to reset my scale transform back to "1" in order to put my objects back to their original positions after using SR.
4) SpeedRetopo attempts to set your camera clipping planes to the size of your retopo object. Sadly there seems to be conditions which will make this action fail and set your clipping planes outside your scene objects, meaning that you'll just have a blank 3d view. Also, like the scale, SpeedRetopo does not set your clipping planes back to what they were before entering the tool, so it permanently messes up your 3dview camera with each use.
5) SpeedRetopo does not currently seem to play nice with "isolate selected object" view. I'm not quite sure what the bugs are, but I have noticed additional weirdness when using this to retopo specific meshes in my scene.
6) For some reason, opening the documentation and hotkey reference windows within SpeedRetopo tanks your framerate.
I have tested these bugs in vanilla blender 2.8, so I'm certain it's not my custom setup causing the issues.
In any case, I'm sure this will become an awesome tool when it leaves Alpha! Please give me a shout when there is a new version release and I'll reconsider this one-star. But yeah, currently, since I basically can't use the tool for work because of the compound effect of all these behaviors, I can't reasonably give V3.00.0 alpha a good review.
Svetlana Shalonina 4 months ago
I use this plugin in addition to the standard Blender tools and it works great! I am very happy and recommend it to everyone. In the beginning, you need to get used to it a little, but in the end, retopology works better than in Maya.
jacobo 5 months ago
When will you be releasing the 2.8 stable version? The 2.79 version doesn't cut it anymore :-/
Alexandr Gluhachev 7 months ago
Very useful addon!
Purchase this item to leave a review!