Update: Ossim now supports Blender 2.91. Please update your addon to version 1.4.1!
Ossim is a simulation baking tool. It allows you to generate an armature and skinned geometry based on physics simulation to use in game engines and realtime applications such as Unreal Engine 4 or Unity3d and many others.
Generated armature in Blender
Exported skeletal mesh in UE4
- Blender 2.91 support
- Blender 2.8 API changes implemented (including outliner fixes)
- Added transformation cleaning options
- Fixed a bug with armature as parent always having OBJECT type.
- Blender 2.8 support
- Cloth simulations bake
- UI improvements
- Bug fixes
- Code refactor
- Autokeyframing feature
- UI/UX improvements (more options and context-aware tools)
- Bug fixes for armature generation:
- Duplicated geometry now use the same modifiers/mesh data/materials as the originals
- Generator now properly treats modifiers and non-mesh object in the selection
- Animated physics assets now treated correctly
- Put python file inside Blender scripts folder (Blender\2.**\scripts\addons)
- OR simply press Install Addon From File button in Addons tab (Preferences)
- Enable addon by clicking on checkbox
How to use
- Bring any mesh to blender and break it however you want
- You can use built-in Blender addon called Cell Fracture
- You can also use PhysAssist addon
- Set rigid body physics for all geometry pieces you want to simulate. You can make simulation conditions as complex as you like (adding wind, vortex or another rigidbody colliding with your mesh)
- Select just geometry you want to bake. Move it to separate layer for convenience.
- Specify target layer for skinned geometry.
- Run armature generation (Tool located under Tools->Misc->Ossim)
- Select your generated armature and run autokeyframe feature
- Select armature and skinned mesh and export it.
- You can reach me on twitter: @GubinPetr
- Polycount forum thread: https://polycount.com/discussion/202266/ossim-rigid-body-simulation-baking-for-blender
- BlenderArtists forum thread: https://blenderartists.org/t/addon-ossim-bake-rigidbody-simulation-to-armature-ue4-unity/1115900