NEW: Experimental release for Blender 2.80 now available!
Are you frustrated with the current Blender fluid simulator? Are you tired of spending countless hours baking only to find that your simulation still just doesn't look real? Do you love working in Blender but find that you have to use other software when you need a realistic fluid effect?
NOT ANYMORE! There is a solution, and it is FLIP Fluids!
FLIP Fluids is a powerful liquid simulation addon that gives you the ability to create high quality cinematic fluid effects all within Blender!
The core fluid engine, a modern FLIP-based fluid solver, has been under development for over three years with over a year of development focused on tightly integrating the simulator into Blender as an addon.
The FLIP Fluids simulator was created to improve on many aspects of Blender's internal Elbeem fluid simulation system such as speed, performance, accuracy, customizability, and user experience. We use a familiar and intuitive simulation workflow, so if you have experience with the internal fluid simulator or other fluid simulation software, you will be able to get yourself up and running with FLIP Fluids in no time!
The core fluid engine, written in C++, is designed for running high performance computations and massive physics calculations efficiently. Multithreaded and extensively optimized, this simulator is built for speed.
Create awesome large scale fluid effects with the whitewater simulator. Generate and simulate millions of foam, bubble, and spray particles to give a sense of realism to large bodies of water.
Use the highly accurate viscosity solver to simulate thin silky-smooth liquids, thick fluids that buckle and coil, and anything in between.
|Built-in Mesh Generation|
The built-in mesher generates highly detailed meshes so that your fluid surface is render-ready immediately after simulation. This mesh generator is memory efficient and able to produce meshes containing millions of triangles without requiring massive amounts of RAM.
|Fracture Modifier Support|
Create interesting destruction simulations by using the FLIP Fluids addon with the Blender Fracture Modifier branch. The fluid engine is optimized to support fractured objects that may contain hundreds to thousands of individual pieces.
|Excellent User Experience|
The addon interface was designed with a focus on functionality and usability to create a comfortable workflow. View simulation progress, meshes, and statistics in real-time. Pause and resume simulation baking- even after a Blender crash. Create and manage your own preset settings. Quickly apply materials from the fluid material library.
|Stable, Reliable, and Built for You|
We ran a closed beta testing phase involving over 250 testers to ensure that this complex simulation system is reliable, intuitive, and ready for you to use in your projects. We gathered your feedback and added your suggestions. This addon is built for you!
- Pause a simulation and resume baking at your convenience. Any simulation can be continued from the last baked frame even after a crash or computer shutdown.
- Set length of animation manually or automatically by framerate.
- Nearly all simulation settings can be keyframe animated.
- Hover over any setting to view a tooltip description. Detailed settings documentation and tips are also available on the Wiki.
- Want to keep the same level of simulation detail while resizing the domain? Lock the simulation voxel size and the addon will automatically adjust grid resolution as you resize the domain.
- Manage your scene cache directory. Operators will help you rename, move, copy, or delete your cache files.
- Advanced settings for power users who want to experiment with simulation accuracy and performance.
- Whitewater Simulation
- Control the amount of whitewater generated at wavecrests and in areas of high turbulence.
- Control how foam is carried along the fluid surface: In tight streaks, or diffuse and spread-out?
- Control how bubbles rise to the surface and how bubbles are advected with the fluid.
- Control amount of drag on spray particles as they fall to the fluid surface.
- Set percentages of foam/bubble/spray particles for display and rendering.
- Render whitewater particles with a simple icosphere or use your own custom object.
- Mesh Generator
- Adjust particle size for the particle-to-mesh surface generator.
- Create high detail meshes by increasing the subdivision level.
- Generate meshes that wrap smoothly around curved surfaces.
- Presets and Materials
- Save your own custom default domain settings.
- Create and manage domain presets.
- Organize presets into packages and add custom thumbnail images.
- Export and share preset packages.
- Apply multiple presets at once using the preset stack.
- Quickly apply materials from the fluid material library.
- Simulation Stats
- View simulation, timing, and mesh stats for the entire cache or an individual frame.
- Export stats to CSV format and create your own detailed graphs.
- Debugging Tools
- Visualize the simulation and meshing grid.
- Visualize fluid particles and velocities.
- Visualize how the simulator 'sees' your obstacle objects to diagnose issues with meshes.
- View detailed simulation progress in the Blender system console.
- Obstacle Objects
- Support for animated obstacle objects.
- Turn obstacle meshes 'inside-out' to contain fluid inside of the mesh.
- Accurate fluid-solid interaction against curved surfaces.
- Control amount of fluid friction against the obstacle surface.
- Fluid and Inflow Objects
- Support for animated inflow objects.
- Manually set inflow velocity, or set velocity towards a target object.
- Add inflow object velocity to the emitted fluid for realistic animated inflows.
- Outflow Objects
- Support for animated outflow objects.
- Control whether outflow objects remove fluid particles or whitewater particles.
- Control whether outflows will remove fluid entering the object or leaving the object.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
- Blender 2.79 (64-bit)
- CPU 64-bit Intel® or AMD® multi-core processor
- 8 GB RAM minimum, 16 GB or more of RAM memory is highly recommended
Mac OS X and Linux Support
At this moment, support for Mac OS X and Linux is experimental. This means that the addon has not yet undergone extensive testing on OS X and Linux operating systems. For the current status of Mac OS X and Linux support, see this document.
If you are planning to purchase the addon for use on OS X or Linux we first highly recommend trying the FLIP Fluids Demo to test if the simulator will work on your system.
FLIP Fluids Demo
Want to test the FLIP Fluids simulator on your machine? You may try the free demo version. This is a very limited version of the addon that will only allow you to run predefined scenes at preset resolutions. The demo will still allow you to playback and render your test case simulation. This version of the addon was used during the beta to test the simulator on testers' machines and to gather simulation results for optimization. Find out how to download and how to run the FLIP Fluids Demo here!
What You Get
- The FLIP Fluids addon installation file
- Example scenes, and 'lite' versions of the scenes with textures removed
- Access to future updates including new features
- Tool support
- Full addon and engine source code
What the Artists Say
Grant Wilk, Host of Remington Graphics and CGC Weekly
|"The FLIP Fluids Blender add-on allows both artists and simulation enthusiasts to do so much more than they could ever imagine within Blender. The work and care put into this add-on is incredible, and has allowed me to expand my knowledge and abilities on multiple levels. A must have for any avid Blender user."|
Lawrence Jaeger, 3D & Motion Design Artist
|"Having this kind of power inside of Blender is a complete game changer. To be able to stay within the program that I am so comfortable in and create these kind of FX is amazing. If you are wanting to add liquid simulations to your skill set, this addon is a must have!"|
Joel Howe, Technical Animator
|"A very promising fluid simulation plugin for Blender with a top-notch feature set, including whitewater bubbles and foam. I worked with the beta to get some great visual results from Blender and was very happy with the stable simulation bakes at a range of solver resolutions. Looking forward to integrating FLIP Fluids into my animation production workflow!"|
Experimental releases will give you access to the latest updates and features, but these builds may contain bugs and lack documentation. Please let us know what you think of the experimental builds or notice any problems, we love to hear your feedback!
- version 188.8.131.52 (Dec 13 2018)
- Added support for Blender 2.80 (#404)
- Fixed bug where Blender could crash while rendering in Cycles with the viewport open (#403)
- Fixed bug where copper preset could be loaded as coffee preset
- Added checkbox to Presets Panel to allow auto assigning presets
- Updated default whitewater Min/Max Energy parameters to more user friendly values
- Updated default whitewater spray drag coefficient to add more drag to spray particles
- Rolled back some stability improvements that were causing volume increase (#326)
- Meshing improvements
- Performance improvements
- version 184.108.40.206 (Nov 19 2018)
- Added feature to control amount of whitewater generated by Obstacle objects (#385)
- Added a surface tension solver (#388)
- Added new surface tension example scenes
- Updated Whitewater panel UI with Basic/Advanced settings modes (#384)
- Fixed 'ResourceWarning' error when disabling and re-enabled addon
- Fixed bug that would cause bumpy mesh artifacts on edges of domain (#380)
- Fixed bug where bake would continue to run after closing Blender (#361)
- Performance improvements (multithreading/optimization)
- Simulation stability improvements
- version 1.0.4a (Aug 24 2018)
- Fixed bug that would cause holes (missing triangles) in the surface mesh (#372)
- Fixed bug that would cause missing chunks near the boundary of the surface mesh (#376)
- Fixed bug that would cause banding artifacts in the surface mesh (#377)
- Fixed bug where using world scaling would cause incorrect distribution of generated whitewater particles (#373)
- version 1.0.4 (Aug 09 2018)
- Added support for baking from the command line (#329) - See Notes
- Added debug functionality to visualize the true domain bounds (#299)
- Added functionality to restrict viewport/render fluid display from the 'FLIP Fluid' physics button (#222)
- Added Inflow option to constrain fluid inside of an inflow object to match the inflow emission velocity. Allows inflow to work when submerged (#322). Allows low velocity emission values to have the effect of slowing down inflow emission (#90) - See Notes
- Added volumetric water shader 'Water (volumetric)' courtesy of Grant Wilk of Remington Graphics
- Added optimization to skip frame calculations if time step is zero-length (#350)
- Fixed bug that would require reloading a scene if an invalid cache directory was set before baking (#330)
- Addon will now display popup error message when exporting a preset package to an invalid directory (#320)
- Fixed incorrect surface motion blur rendering method that would result in a hard edge of the surface mesh instead of a fully blurred edge (#87)
- Fixed bug that would trigger an error if a deformable inflow was located outside of the domain
- Fixed UI issue to disable ability to insert keyframes into 'Hold Frame' option (#340)
- Removed 'Invert Surface-Contact Normals' option in 'FLIP Fluid Surface' settings. This option does not work as intended and is not useful.
- Fixed bug where whitewater particles would be killed when boundary behaviour was set to 'Ballistic' (#354)
- Fixed bug where changes to whitewater particle scale would not be reloaded in the viewport (#339)
- Fixed bug where renaming Inflow/Fluid target object in outliner would not rename object in Inflow/Fluid settings (#356)
- Improved forward/backward compatibility of .blend files between addon versions
- Improved performance of surface mesh generation
- Improved compatibility with various Linux distributions
- Removed GPU acceleration features. GPU methods have been entirely replaced with higher performance CPU methods.
- Removed 'Enable Experimental Optimization Features' setting from Advanced panel. These features are no longer experimental and are now fully integrated into the fluid engine.
- version 1.0.3 (Jun 01 2018)
- Added operator to preferences menu to check for version updates (#314)
- Added support for fluid surface motion blur rendering - See notes (#87)
- Fixed bug where editing a preset would display an error (#301)
- Fixed bug that prevented viscous fluids from sticking to obstacles
- Fixed bug that caused 'Out of Memory' error when an Inflow or Outflow was located outside of the domain (#316)
- Fixed bug that would cause meshes to be misaligned if world scaling was enabled (#315)
- Fixed bug that caused mesh artifacts when 'GPU Features' was disabled (#317)
- version 1.0.2 (May 16 2018)
- Added support for OS X and Linux (experimental)
- Fixed bug where addon would crash if Inflow/Outflow was outside of Domain
- version 1.0.1 (May 04 2018)
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news and promotions for the FLIP Fluids addon!
Full documentation is available on the FLIP Fluids Wiki.
Guides and Info:
- How to Install the Addon
- Creating You First FLIP Fluids Simulation
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scene Troubleshooting
- Example Scene Descriptions
- Video Tutorial Series
- Technical Support Guidelines
- FLIP Fluid Objects
Community Videos and Resources:
Check out these excellent videos and resources from the FLIP Fluids community!
- Creating Curling Waves in Blender - A video overview by Grant Wilk of Remington Graphics
- The Future of Fluid Simulations - Grant Wilk, host of CGC Weekly explains the FLIP simulation method
- Rigid Body Dynamics + FLIP Fluids workflow (Part 1 | Part 2) - Tutorial by Lawrence Jaeger
- FLIP Fluids Spring Sale Demo Reel - Animations created by the the FLIP Fluids Beta Team and Developers
- Creating Wave Simulations with FLIP Fluids - an interview with Lucas Veber
You will find a list of frequently asked questions on the Wiki FAQ page.
Purchase this item to leave a review!