FLIP Fluids is a powerful liquid simulation addon that gives you the ability to create high quality fluid effects all within Blender!
- Supported in Blender 2.79 and 2.8 for Windows, MacOS, and Linux operating systems.
- No subscriptions, all future updates included.
- Free trial available, no sign up necessary.
What is the FLIP Fluids addon?
The FLIP Fluids addon is a tool that helps you set up, run, and render liquid simulation effects. Our custom built fluid engine is based around the popular FLIP simulation technique that is also found in other professional tools such as Houdini, Phoenix FD, Bifrost, and Mantaflow. The FLIP Fluids engine has been in constant development for over four years with a large focus on tightly integrating the simulator into Blender as an addon. It just feels like a native Blender tool!
With our reputation for delivering high quality software and outstanding customer support, the FLIP Fluids addon is one of the best selling products on the Blender Market.
|High Performance |
The core fluid engine, written in C++, is designed for running high performance computations and massive physics calculations efficiently. Multithreaded and extensively optimized, this simulator is built for speed.
|Whitewater Effects |
Create awesome large scale fluid effects with the whitewater simulator. Generate and simulate millions of foam, bubble, and spray particles to give a sense of realism to large bodies of water.
|High Viscosity Effects |
Use the high accuracy viscosity solver to simulate thin silky-smooth liquids, thick fluids that buckle and coil, and anything in between. You will be able to simulate thicker fluid in Blender than you could ever before!
|Surface Tension Effects |
Create beautiful small-scale fluid effects with surface tension! Simulate the natural cohesion of surface molecules that cause fluids to form into beads, drip, and add an elastic look to splashes.
|Built-in Mesh Generation |
The built-in mesher generates highly detailed meshes so that your fluid surface is render-ready immediately after simulation. This mesh generator is memory efficient and able to produce meshes containing millions of triangles without requiring massive amounts of RAM.
|Fracture Modifier Support |
Create interesting destruction simulations by using the FLIP Fluids addon with the Blender Fracture Modifier branch. The fluid engine is optimized to support fractured objects that may contain hundreds to thousands of individual pieces.
Why choose FLIP Fluids?
Fluid simulation software can be intimidating, complex, and difficult to work with, but it does not need to be. We believe that usability should come first when designing a simulation tool. A simulator might contain the most advanced technology in the world, but if it is not usable, reliable, and flexible, it will not be a tool that is useful or enjoyable to the artist.
Our goal is to improve on many aspects of the built-in Blender fluid simulator such as usability, stability, customization, and to prevent common problems that we see artists encounter when working with simulation systems. We want to provide you with the tools, learning resources, and workflows to assist you in creating beautiful effects as quickly and as painlessly as possible.
|Pause and Resume Baking |
Bake simulations on your own schedule! Our smart caching system allows you to pause and resume simulation baking- even after a Blender crash. Did you notice a mistake halfway through the simulation? No need to restart the simulation from the beginning, you can update your setup and resume baking from an earlier frame.
|Easily Contained Fluid |
Containing fluid inside of an object is a common scenario in many fluid effects. With our Obstacle Inverse Workflow, you can simply enable an option to make your object a hollow container to perfectly contain fluid without any leaks!
|Smooth Meshing Against Objects |
Our mesh generator can perfectly handle meshing fluid against flat or curved surfaces, an improvement over the severe voxelization of the built-in Elbeem fluid simulator. No more mesh artifacts poking through your wine glass!
|Tutorial Series and Documentation |
Learning fluid simulation does not need to be difficult. Get started with FLIP Fluids by following our video learning series. While using the addon, hover over any option for a detailed tooltip. Visit our extensive documentation and wiki for tips, notes, and detailed descriptions of settings and how they can be used.
|Responsive UI and Feedback |
Being able to see feedback on how your simulation is progressing is essential to a good workflow. The simulator is designed to run in the background so that Blender is still completely usable during simulation. You will be able to view new frames as the simulation progresses while setting up materials and lighting for render. Detailed statistics are provided as your simulation runs to help you understand how your set up is performing.
|Beginner Friendly |
Are you new to fluid simulation? We have a beginner friendly mode just for you! The FLIP Fluids addon contains a plethora of settings for customizing your simulation, but this can make the UI intimidating to new users. Enabling Beginner Friendly Mode will hide the more advanced settings so that you can focus on the common settings that are used the most.
|Debugging Tools |
Is your simulation not running as expected? We provide you with helpful built-in tools that you can use to debug your simulation setup. Visualize the simulation grid to better understand how grid detail relates to resolution. Visualize how the simulator is converting your obstacles into solid volumes to diagnose problems related to geometry and insufficient resolution.
|Stable, Reliable, and Built for You |
The FLIP Fluids addon has been tested by thousands of users, including over 250 beta testers to ensure that this complex simulation system is reliable, intuitive, and ready for you to use in your projects. We listen to your feedback and add your suggestions. This addon is built for you!
This is the most affordable fluid simulation tool you will ever buy. Other professional fluid simulation packages can run you hundreds of dollars per year for a license.
For a one time purchase of $76 (USD), you will gain access to the full FLIP Fluids simulation product which includes all future updates and customer support. Do you want to work entirely within Blender? Then this is the best value you will get!
What you get:
- The FLIP Fluids addon installation file
- Example scenes with lighting and render setups
- Tool support
- Access to all future updates and new features
- Full addon and engine source code
Want a free trial? Install the free FLIP Fluids Demo today! No sign up necessary.
- Windows, MacOS, or Linux operating system
- Blender 2.79 and 2.8 (64-bit)
- CPU 64-bit Intel® or AMD® multi-core processor
- 8 GB RAM minimum, 16 GB or more of RAM memory is highly recommended
What the Artists Say
Grant Wilk, Host of Remington Graphics and CGC Weekly
|"The FLIP Fluids Blender add-on allows both artists and simulation enthusiasts to do so much more than they could ever imagine within Blender. The work and care put into this add-on is incredible, and has allowed me to expand my knowledge and abilities on multiple levels. A must have for any avid Blender user."|
Lawrence Jaeger, 3D & Motion Design Artist
|"Having this kind of power inside of Blender is a complete game changer. To be able to stay within the program that I am so comfortable in and create these kind of FX is amazing. If you are wanting to add liquid simulations to your skill set, this addon is a must have!"|
Joel Howe, Technical Animator
|"A very promising fluid simulation plugin for Blender with a top-notch feature set, including whitewater bubbles and foam. I worked with the beta to get some great visual results from Blender and was very happy with the stable simulation bakes at a range of solver resolutions. Looking forward to integrating FLIP Fluids into my animation production workflow!"|
This section only details the latest stable release. Follow this link for complete and more detailed release notes: Stable Release Notes.
- version 1.0.7 (Nov 27 2019)
- Version 1.0.7 is fully supported in Blender 2.79 and Blender 2.81. Blender 2.80 is not fully supported due to severe bugs that affect the FLIP Fluids addon (See Blender 2.8 Support)
- Updated addon to use new Blender 2.81 features that improve rendering and baking stability
- Added a new Dust particle type to the whitewater simulator. Dust particles are generated near obstacles that are marked as dust emitters. Dust particles are advected with the fluid velocity similar to bubble particles and sink towards the ground.
- Added a 'Dust Emission Strength' parameter to the Obstacle properties section that controls how much whitewater dust the object will generate
- Added 'Spray Emission Speed' parameter to the whitewater simulator that will scale the speed of emitted spray particles. Increase to generate larger and more exaggerated spray effects.
- Added option to FLIP Fluid Advanced panel to disable changing topology warning for animated meshes that change topology between frames. Warning: vertex velocities will not be computed for topology changing meshes.
- Added option to FLIP Fluid Simulation panel to automatically set domain preview resolution based on recommendation
- Surface and whitewater mesh objects can now be renamed and are no longer required to be child objects of the Domain
- Fixed misc compile errors and warnings for Linux/MacOS
- Fixed bug that could cause baking crashes when using the whitewater simulator
- Fixed bug that could prevent whitewater foam particles from transitioning into spray particles
- Fixed bug that could cause whitewater particle objects not to be loaded in the viewport
- Fixed bug that could cause incorrect particle geometry when switching between built-in and custom particle objects
- Fixed bug that could leave behind stray objects in the scene when removing whitewater meshes
- Fixed bug that could cause errors when re-loading addon scripts
- Fixed bug where the 'More Bake Settings' subsection of the FLIP Fluid Simulation panel could not be set as default values
- Fixed bug where rendering could be disrupted if the 'Auto Load Baked Frames' feature is enabled
- Fixed bug that could cause grid debugging tools not to display
- Fixed stray debugging print outs during simulation in the Blender System Console
- Addon will now initialize the fluid_surface mesh object with smooth shading by default
- Addon will now automatically toggle Cycles visibility settings on inflow/outflow/fluid objects according to the objects hide render property
- Addon will now automatically lock the Blender interface (Blender > Render > Lock Interface) upon creation of the domain to prevent render crashes in Blender 2.8x
- Addon can now visualize the domain bounds independently of the domain grid in the FLIP Fluid Debug panel
- Removed smoothing operations from FLIP Fluid Surface panel. Amount of smoothing should be set in the fluid_surface object smooth modifier
- Whitewater particle object can now be set as a built-in 6 sided cube in addition to a 20 sided icosphere or a custom object in the FLIP Fluid Display Settings panel
- Whitewater display settings section in FLIP Fluid Display panel can now be collapsed in the UI
- Misc tooltip improvements
- Misc performance improvements
The next stable version 1.0.8 is in development. For access to the latest features and improvements, try out the experimental releases! Experimental Release Notes.
- GitHub Project Page
- Documentation and Wiki
- Bug/Issue Tracker
- Blender Physics Page
- Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for the latest news and promotions for the FLIP Fluids addon!