Now ready for Blender 2.8!
Model many windows at once on the faces of a mesh:
Years ago, I had a very hard time modelling window patterns onto models like this one:
The user wanted more and more windows added to the 3D model, and each time I found myself painstakingly adding each one in a random pattern onto the faces. This took up many hours and days of my time, far more than modelling the overall model itself. After this painful experience, I thought there surely must be a better way. So when using Blender, I decided to create an add-on that would do the job for me.
The add-on has applications beyond just modelling spaceships, and would also apply when needing to quickly model many windows onto architectural buildings.
- Select faces and then add a configurable pattern of windows, where the amount of coverage and randomness can be controlled.
- Control how many windows are mapped across each face and how many are mapped down them.
- The width and height of the windows can be changed.
- Different window styles can be created by adding corner bevels, and outer bevels can be added to make the window edges smooth.
- Option to disable top or bottom bevels to create different effects:
- Ability to assign a material to the newly created windows by specifying a material slot id.
- Also assign a lights-off material to give the impression that some window lights are switched off.
- Introduce further variations by adding a random "jitter" to the width and height of each window.
- Option to perform edge split operations to create a quicker clean look.
- The process automatically creates uv seams to aid in uv mapping for textures.
- Faces are mapped from the top-to-bottom of a face by default, but the orientation can be changed to either left-right or front-back.
- Additional refinement options that will attempt to remove unwanted edges or vertices from the created window patterns.
If you have a new feature suggestion or feedback on the add-on feel free to contact me through this website, visit www.markkingsnorth.com, or contact me through twitter @markkingsnorth.
Version 1.0.3: Blender 2.8 Beta
I have now upgraded the add-on for 2.8 beta and put it ready for download alongside the 2.7 version. You will be able to tell the 2.8 zip file version because it ends in 2.8! I'll be updating the documentation once 2.8 becomes the main Blender release.
Blender 2.8 is still in beta, so if you have any problems with the add-on let me know.