Display, edit, filter, render, convert, generate and export colored point cloud PLY files.
Works with any Binary or ASCII PLY file with 'x, y, z, nx, ny, nz, red, green, blue' vertex values. Vertex normals and colors are optional. Text based file formats, such as '.txt', '.xyz', '.pts', '.csv', can be imported.
For all features see full documentation here: https://jakubuhlik.com/docs/pcv/docs.html (also included with addon files)
- Unzip files
- Start Blender
- Go to Preferences -
Edit > Preferences
Add-onsfrom left panel
Install..button on top
space_view3d_point_cloud_visualizer.zipand confirm with
- Enable by checking the
- Add any object type to scene.
- Go to 3d View Sidebar (N) >
Point Cloud Visualizertab, on main panel click file browser icon, select ply file, click
Eraseto hide point cloud and
Drawbutton to display point cloud again.
Select ply file to load together with main
Adjust percentage of points
Shader type and its options (if any). Shader extras -
Clip to set clipping planes, point
Here are options for ply loading, loaded data post-processing and safety checks.
To use partial load, first enable clicking checkbox
Partial Load and set method. For extra large clouds with ordered data, you can choose
Slice method which will load only a continuous part of points. To extract points from whole file you can use
Spaced first load all points to system memory and then evenly spaced points from all are chosen and the rest is discarded to free system memory. This can be used when you are able to fit all points into system memory, but you don’t need to draw them all and it is still quite fast.
Random method is slow, but much less system memory is needed to load subset of points. Points are read from file randomly and only single point is read each time until requested percentage is met.
Data post-processing lets you choose default color if points does not have any, convert 16bit colors, apply gamma correction, shuffle points (to be used with
Shader > Display), you can disable storing of raw loaded data to save memory or disable automatic drawing after load to check number of loaded points first before drawing to prevent crashes from low gpu memory.
Safety lets you set maximum number of points to display regardless how many points are loaded to prevent crashes from low gpu memory.
Import points from text file formats such as
.csv, etc. Any plain text file with data organized into table with same number of items in a row. Select file, specify separator, number of header lines (if any) and each column data type and click
Import. For convenience you can preview first 10 lines in file checking
File Contents Preview. Preview tries to split columns with chosen separator on the fly. Alternatively you can click
Guess Data Format to prefill columns types based on simple rules, but because except
.pts there is no official data format specification, always verify the result. You can also save current column setup, header lines and separator properties as preset using preset widget.
Import also uses
Partial Load and
Post-load Processing options from
Load panel, except
Convert 16bit Colors property.
Notes on color values: by default rgb color is used for imported data, if you want to import other value like intensity from laser scanners, use
Grey data type for its column and set rgb columns to
Ignore. To import such value in false colors / heat map, use
Value type instead.
Quasi point cloud Edit Mode. Hit
Enable Edit Mode and all points will be converted to helper mesh with vertices and entered to mesh edit mode. You can transform, delete and duplicate vertices using regular Blender’s tools.
Filter current point cloud, all changes are only temporary, original data are still intact. To keep changes, you have to export cloud as ply file.
Simplify point cloud to exact number of evenly distributed samples or voxel-like structure.
Project points on mesh (or object convertible to mesh) surface. Projects point along their normals until it hit surface or
Search Distance is reached. You can choose between
Positive (along normal direction),
Negative (vice versa) or both. Optionally you can
Discard Unprojectable points that was not possible to project and after projection
Shift points a fixed distance along normal (positive value) or the other way around (negative value). Projected points can be optionally colorized by vertex colors, uv texture and vertex group from target mesh.
Transfer colors from point to
Target mesh object vertex colors or UV texture. By default, color is taken from closest point, optionally you average point colors in set radius. Transfer colors to UV texture requires non-overlapping UV layout fully contained in unit square on target mesh and material with active
Image Texture node with loaded image to operate on. Extending margins on UV texture uses blender baking system and requires
Cycles to be set as render engine.
Fast crop points by object bounding box.
Intersect or Exclude points with mesh object.
To use, switch shader type to
Color Adjustment. Adjust exposure, gamma, brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, value or invert colors.
Remove points with exact/similar color as chosen in color picker (Eyedropper works too).
Load another ply and merge with currently displayed.
Join current active point cloud with another on different object.
Single point cloud or multiple point clouds in separate PCV instances per render/frame are supported. When rendering multiple instances, all must be visible in viewport (i.e. ply is loaded and drawn in viewport) before starting render. Output image is RGBA 8bit PNG - transparent background with colored point cloud, which can be composed over something else later.
Convert point cloud to mesh (each point to
Ico Sphere), instancer (with
Ico Sphere), particle system (with
Ico Sphere) or mesh with normal and color attributes to be used with geometry nodes. Point colors will be converted to vertex colors.
Generate point cloud from mesh (or object convertible to mesh) surface or volume.
Export current point cloud as binary ply file.
Load sequence of ply files to play in viewport.
Open3D is not yet available for Python 3.9 included in Blender 2.93. Use Blender 2.92.
You can choose tab name for PCV to keep things organized.
You can use PCV to display point cloud data from other addons/custom scripts. See documentation.
- clipping planes for all shaders (viewport and render)
- auto clipping planes update, linked object can be animated (viewport and render)
- more Split filter options
- shader panel updated
- faster rendering
- render current or all visible point clouds
- optional shuffle when joining points
- optional basic uv layout generation for Convert (mesh based result)
- Convert to vertex mesh with `pcv-normal` and `pcv-color` attributes (to be used with Geometry Nodes)
- new in edit mode: Select Color and Set Color
- new filters Split and Join
- Project filter point position change is now optional
- Remove Color both by color and numbers and Color Adjustment Apply speed improvements
- fixed View Points not being correct when container is transformed
- point set registration with several global and local methods (using Open3D)
- normal estimation with normal orientation by direction or camera location (using Open3D)
- new `Fast` viewport shader
- new `File > Import` and `3D Viewport > Add` helper menu operators
- new center view on points operator
- new edit operators: points to origin, apply transformation
- edit mode enter, update and exit significantly faster
- faster render manual depth sorting
- compatibility with Blender 2.91 viewport drawing and rendering
- compatibility with Open3D 0.10.0
- fixed edit mode ui glitches
- fixed ascii import guess separator
- Import points from text file formats
- MatCap and MatCap Billboard shaders
- Fast bounding box Crop points
- Open3D: Voxel Downsample, Estimate Normals and Surface Reconstruction
- fixed render transparency (blender 2.9x)
- Remove Color numeric input with python expression and invert selection operator
- Convert use custom mesh as instance
- Project filter align projected point normal to target mesh surface normal
- fixed point generation on triangles with very small area when using Weighted Random In Triangle
- fixed Sequence not reseting when new blend is loaded
- viewport menu to batch control PCV instances
- Height Colors, Depth Effects and Alpha shaders
- load alpha, export alpha
- render with manual depth sorting
- fixed sequence animation render
- transfer colors from point cloud to mesh vertex colors or uv texture
- voxel simplification method
- generate points in mesh volume
- core completely rewritten
- takes less system memory
- better undo / redo handling
- partial ply loading - slice, evenly spaced or random strategies
- out of video memory crash prevention with maximum display points user setting
- more shader types and shader options (Phong, Billboard, Billboard Phong, Fresnel, Bounding Box, Position with scale and offset)
- render to image with any shader
- optional faster triangulated conversion to mesh
- many small fixes and optimizations
- older changes: https://jakubuhlik.com/docs/pcv/docs.html
|Published||about 1 year ago|
|Software Version||2.81, 2.82, 2.83, 2.9, 2.91, 2.92, 2.93|
Have questions before purchasing?
Contact the Creator with your questions right now.Login to Message