– Flared is a simple add-on for Blender 2.81 (or higher).
– It is completely real-time, as it adds to your scene the 3D elements that compose the flare.
– It’s based on 3D elements and procedural textures, so it’s resolution-independent.
– It’s very easy to use: select a camera, select a light source (or more sources), add a flare, play with its sliders and save your presets (to recall them in other projects).
– It’s not screen space-based, so it works also when the source is out of the screen space.
– It has 8 templates with different characteristics. We add new templates as soon as we can.
– For each template, you have different sliders. You can adjust the dimension and the emission values of the different elements that compose the flare, and the number of elements too.
– Each flare needs to have at least a camera and a light source (the light source could be an object or a light).
– You can create as many flares as you want, there’s no limit (it depends only on your hardware).
– You can use keyframes on each slider, to animate your light.
– To simulate the occlusion behind objects, you’ll have to add keyframes manually to the “Occlusion” value slider, which controls gradually the visibility of the flares. There’s no automation in this. Video tutorial.
- There are known strange behaviors when combining Flared with DOF (this could cause the flares to get blurred) and with motion blur (the moving flares get blurred too). Instead, using Flared with volumetrics has no known issues.
– We’ll listen to our customers' requests, seek for bugs, and try to improve the add-on, updating it every time we will do a fix.
– We provide assistance only on the stable version of Blender. Please, don't use Flared for important works on alpha, beta, nightly, or other branches than the official one.
ADD A FLARE FOR THE FIRST TIME
You can install the .zip file in Blender from Preference/Add-ons/Install... Select the .zip file, install and activate it.
Then follow this video, that shows the use of the Octagonal Template.
HOW TO USE FLARED ON VIDEO FOOTAGE
Flared can add lens flares VFX on your real video (not only on 3D scenes and animations). Here is a video tutorial that shows how to do it.
HOW TO USE IT IN CYCLES
Flared natively works in Eevee. Anyway, there’s a trick that can be helpful to have it in Cycles too. Here is a video tutorial about that topic.
...about the use of the Presets, light Flickering effect, making the Flare disappear behind objects, hiding the Flares from the viewport, the characteristics of every single Template, advanced Flare editing to achieve different results, could be found in this Youtube Playlist.
03.07.2020 - Flared 1.6.1
Minor Bugs Fix:
- Octagonal Flared had an issue when used with active DOF on camera. And the ghosts didn't work with the Obstacle Occlusion slider.
- We also changed the code because Flared ran into trouble if the script were sourced from an alternate location.