Retopology tools designed for artists
RetopoFlow is an add-on for Blender that brings together a set of retopology tools that enable you to work more quickly, efficiently, and in a more artist-friendly manner. The tools, which are specifically designed for retopology, create a complete workflow in Blender without the need for additional software.
Automatic surface snapping
RetopoFlow includes two primary tools, Contours and Polystrips. Both of these tools automatically generate geometry by drawing on an existing surface, snapping the new mesh to the target surface at all times, meaning you never have to worry about your mesh conforming to the original model (no shrinkwrap required!). Additionally, all mesh generation is quad-based and the tools are modal, creating a very interactive workflow.
Contours: stroke-based retopo for cylindrical forms
The Contours tool gives you a quick and easy way to retopologize cylindrical forms. For example, it’s ideal for organic forms, such as arms, legs, tentacles, tails, horns, etc.
The tool works by drawing strokes perpendicular to the form to define the contour of the shape. Immediately upon drawing the first stroke, a preview mesh is generated, showing you exactly what you’ll get. You can draw as many strokes as you like, in any order, from any direction.
Polypen: vertex-by-vertex creation for absolute control
The Polypen provides provides everything you need for fast retopology in those scenarios where you need absolute control of every vertex position (e.g. low poly game models). This tool lets you insert vertices, extrude edges, fill faces, and transform the subsequent geometry all within one tool and in just a few clicks.
Polystrips: quad strips for complex topology flow
The Polystrips tool provides quick and easy ways create the key face loops needed to retopologize a complex model. For example, if you need to retopologize a human face, creatures, or any other complex organic & hard-surface object.
Polystrips works by hand-drawing strokes on to the high-resolution object. The strokes are instantly converted into spline-based strips of polygons, which can be used to quickly map out the key topology flow. Clean mesh previews are generated on the fly, showing you the exact mesh that’ll be created.
Tweak, Loop Cut, Loop Slide
In addition to the polygon creation tools of Contours, Polypen, and Polystrips, RetopoFlow also includes powerful editing tools for fine-tuning your retopologized mesh.
- Tweak: easily adjust or relax geometry with a brush
- Loop Cut: insert a new loop cut along a face loop, automatically snapping to the source surface.
- Loop Slide: slide any edge loop along the source surface
- Source and Target object transforms no longer break tool workflow, enabling you to retopologized rotated and scaled objects finally.
- Polystrips and Polypen mesh drawing has been improved, such that the geometry always draws on top of the surface correctly
- Help text no longer overlaps the background when using Blender's Region Overlap
- Polystrip patches now fill correctly on cross junctions where it'd previously fail: before, after
- Fixed issue where some patches would go haywire when the strip connected back to its self
- Contours no longer crashes when sliding a loop over a hole in the source mesh
- Dramatically improved surface snapping on meshes with dense geometry containing concave faces (such as dynamic topology models): before, after
- Fixed an issue where cancelling a Contours loop transform would result in a twisted loop
- Fixed a nasty bug that caused a fatal crash during Polypen if you zoomed the camera inside the source object.
- Introduce the Add-on Updater! New versions beyond 1.3.0 will now be installable right from within Blender.
- Fixed issue where Bezier objects in the scene caused a crash
- Tweaked color saturation for Polypen meshes, improving disability.
- Fixed display issue where Polystrips would draw under the source surface in orthographic view
- Fixed issue with Polypen creating twisted faces when created at sharp angles
- Fixed bug that broke Polypen on second vertex insertion
- Added ability to dissolve 2-valance vertices (vertices with only two edges connected) in Polypen
- Fixed bad crash on loading new file while RetopoFlow enabled
- Fixed forcing view into wireframe when starting tools
- Fixed Polypen vertex-insert only inserting into the middle of the clicked edge; now inserts at point of click
- Improved undo in Polystrips, now better tracks selection and restores to proper state
- Greatly improved Polystrips rendering; now based on dynamic distance from object to view
- Fixed Polypen failing and causing mayhem in Local View
- Fixed some issues with Polystrips going askew when working on scaled objects
- Fixed undo in Tweak not taking affect immediately
- Fixed hidden geometry being selectable in Polypen
- Fixed vertices and edges not being properly occluded when hidden in Polypen
- Fixed a few other misc issues
- Fixed a bad crash when creating a new file after the add-on was disabled
- Polypen Tool: new tool that enables easy creation of triangles, quads, and ngons in any formation
- Polystrips is now able to create patches alongside existing geometry
- Polystrip patches now support T-junctions on patch boundaries
- New "Open Error Log" function to enable easier troubleshooting
- Greatly improved error-handling, RetopoFlow tools will no longer crash upon errors
- Improved drawing style of Polystrips and Tweak geometry
- Added support for Retina/4k displays
- Greatly improved Polystrip behavior on thin geometry
- Added Blender 2.77 support for all tools, addressing API changes
- Fix conflict when some other add-ons were enabled
- Fixed error in unregister function; used when add-on is disabled.
- Fixed Tweak mode in Polystrips being broken
- Improved handling of Source / Target objects to auto-clear setting when objects are deleted
- Tweak Tool Relax Mode: hold SHIFT while tweaking to relax vertices. Attempts to make faces square.
- Improve Error Messages: many error messages were edited to be more artist friendly and be more helpful
- Polystrips now adds a Mirror Modifier at creation if X Symmetry is enabled
- Added Recover Tip text to help panel(s) to help users recover work upon crashes
- Removed Right Mouse Button as a operation cancel option, removing conflict with RMB navigation keymaps
- Fix Polystrips and Contours not using Show X-Ray at Mesh Creation option
- Fix for Junctions disappearing and becoming unselectabled
- Fix for source/target objects being deleted and causing Blender to crash on next operator start.
Version 1.1.0 - Requires Blender 2.76
- 10-100x speed boost in most cases! The speed change is night and day difference.
- Tweak Tool: easily tweak your new retopologized mesh with a brush tool, no selection needed, greatly improving workflow speed.
- Loop Cut Tool: quickly add any number of surface-snapped loop cuts to your new mesh
- Loop Slide Tool: slide edge loops along the surface of your source object, greatly improving workflow for snapping geometry from any angle. No Shrink-wrap needed.
- Added Source and Target object functionality: retopology is no longer dependent on selection, making workflow more flexible and easier.
- Polystrips Symmetry Visualization: symmetry can now be visualized and toggled with Shift + X in Polystrips.
- New custom icons for all tools!
- Refactored all tools into a much better structure, enabling simpler development and dramatically improving codebase organization
- Brush size in Polystrips and Tweak now keeps it's size across sessions
- Fixed keymap conflicts with custom navigation controls
- Fixed many, many misc bugs as part of refactor.
- Custom icons for Polystrips and Contours (requires Blender 2.75+)
- Improve Polystrips to use key_map.py file for easier customizability
- Improved color theming for Contour Guides and Tweak tool
- Disabled debug display of various elements of Contour Guides
- Various misc fixes and typos
Version 1.0.0 - initial release
RetopoFlow documentation can be found at http://docs.retopoflow.com
Yes! RetopoFlow works on any system which Blender supports, including Mac OS, Linux, and Windows.
RetopoFlow uses the Add-on Updater module to allow updating from right within Blender!
If you have version 1.3.0+ installed then simply go to the User Preferences > Add-ons > RetopoFlow and click Check now for RetopoFlow update, then Update Now.
Purchase this item to leave a review!