Asset Sketcher is a blender addon that lets you paint objects directly into your scene. If you are a level designer or love to create scenes with lots of details, this will be the perfect addon for you. Asset Sketcher lets you populate your scene very quickly. With a variety of settings you can randomize how assets are added to your scene. With some intuitive short cuts you can delete and pick objects directly from your scene, which gives you some extra speed for designing your level. With Asset Sketcher there is no need to place/scale and rotate your objects manually anymore.
"With Asset Sketcher you will created complex Scenes as effective as never before!"
Add objects, groups and groupinstances to your Asset List. Adjust the paint distance, the scale. Finetune it by adding random values for scale and rotation. Paint objects into stroke direction. Orient objects directly to your ground. This and much more parameters can be set to give you the absolute control. Take a look at the highlighted key features in this overview here. If you want to see more feel free to take a look at the feature video.
3 Intuitive Sketch Modes
There are different needs for some worfklows. There for Asset Sketcher offers 3 types of Modes.
The paint mode lets you quickly brush Assets into your scene. With a set of paramters you customize how assets are placed.
The scale mode gives you a very presize functionality to add your assets to your scene. Use it for furniture or other types of assets were you need presizion in rotation and scale.
You are creating grid based games? This mode will be perfect for you. Just set the grid size and layer and start painting your assets.
Easy and Fast Physics Calculation
Create natural asset arrangements by using physics. Just select your assets and run the operator. It's as easy as that.
Asset Icon Preview
Easy to use asset preview. Having a long list with asset names can be time consuming to search through. There for the new Asset Icon Preview is implemented. This lets you easily find your assets.
Having many objects in a scene can make blender very slow. Merge Objects let you easily merge assets into one defined object. This way every stroke gets merged into the "Merge Object".
Lots of Customization
A variety of options that give full control of how your assets are added to the scene. Each Asset Item has its own set of parameters which gives you the most flexible worklow to make sure you setup everything once.
***21 June 2014***
- Fixed a cursor bug with region overlay activated in the User Preferences. Reported by Greg Zaal.
- Fixed a minor bug when no assets where in the asset list and the sketchmode was activated. Reported by Greg Zaal
- Added the feature to constraint random scale values together.
- Changed the random scale math. Now the random scale is multiplied on top of the normal scale. Suggested by Greg Zaal
- Added the option to paint objects and make them Single User Objects. This way they will have there own mesh data.
- Tested the addon with Blender 2.69 and it seems to work fine here. Added Blender 2.6x to supported versions in the description.
***09 September 2014*** Features for Asset Sketcher v0.25
- Added a paint Brush Behavior. (brushsize and brushdensity)
- Pen Pressure Sensitivity - If you have a wacom Tablet you now can manipulate the brushsize, brushdensity and asset scale with the pen pressure(Avaiable in Blender 2.72)
- Slope Threshold added (this will prevent objects to be placed on slopes)
- Asset Selection from Asset Library now possible. Just press on the select Button and all objects of one type will be selected
- Option for deleting of only selected objects. Very usefull in combination of Asset selection. This way you can delete quickly objects of only one type without even touching other objects
***11 September 2014***
- fixed ad small bug with drawing the brush circle. Had issues that is wasn't displayed on a certain ground normal.
- second fix, thought the bug was done. But now it should place objects on every normal.
- small further fix for object placing.
***15 September 2014***
- Asset Sketcher is set automatically to perspective view when starting to sketch. The internal ray_cast function in blender is not working well with orthographic view. When leaving the sketch mode the view will be restored.
***06 October 2014***
- Fixed some drawing problems
- removed object locking while sketching(had some issues here and there)
***28 October 2014*** Features for Asset Sketcher v0.3
- Added new Mode. Apart from the projection mode I have added a new Grid mode. This allows grid based object placing. For detailed information take a look at the video.
- Improved asset selection operator. This lets you expand the selection by shift + click on the select icon. And deselect by ctrl+click on the select icon.
- Lock operator for asset. With the lock operator you can lock entire asset objects in the scene. By ctrl + click assets can be unlocked again.
***27 February 2015***Asset Sketcher v0.31
- Fix for new Blender versions. There was something changed how matrices are handled in blender. This release fixes that issue. Is also downwards compatible.
***10 April 2015***Asset Sketcher v0.32
- Random Scale and Scale Property fix. Now new assets get scaled properly again. This was missed in the last bug fix release.
***23 March 2015***Asset Sketcher v0.33
- Bugfix release for blender 2.77. Blender 2.77 introduced some API changes.
***23 November 2016***Asset Sketcher v1.0
- Major 1.0 Update (Breaks old Asset Lists. Press Space and enter "Asset Sketcher 1.0 Version Fix". This will convert everything to the new Version)
- New Sketch Mode (Scale Mode)
- Asset Preview now available
- Import Asset Libraries possible now
- Asset Categories to better organize Assets
- Quick Physics Calculation (Great to give Assets a natural placing by just letting physics do the job)
***23 November 2017***Asset Sketcher v1.1
- Bugfix: Enabling Asset Preview could crash Blender when using undo.
- Asset Icon Previews can now be generated. Important, works only for saved files.
- Canvas Objects are back. Define objects that are used as canvas. All other objects will be ignored. Can be used optionally.
- Merge Object. Defining a Merge Object will put all painted assets into that object. Gives a better performance for many assets, because they are combined into one object.
- Improved stroke handling.
***04 December 2017***Asset Sketcher v1.1.1 (Bugfix)
- Bugfix with raycasting resulting in infinity loops
- Bugfix for Canvas Objects
***28 August 2018***Asset Sketcher v1.1.2 (Bugfix)
- Bugfix for calculating physics. Resulted in Blender crash.
Asset Sketcher Documentation
Well, Asset Sketcher is a very simple Addon which explains itself by just testing it. Here is a documentation of all settings and features.
Upgrading to v1.0
If you are upgrading from v0.33 to v1.0 make sure to run the Version fix. Since the codebase and some internal structure of the addon has changed this is necessary.
To run the fix press the "Spacebar" and type in "Asset Sketcher 1.0 Version Fix" and then run the operator.
This will update the asset list and all assets in the blendfile to the actual version.
The Asset Library is a list of all objects that can be painted with. The library supports normal mesh objects, goups and groupinstances. The add group operator only shows up if you have at least one group in your scene. All objects that are put into the group will be picked randomly for painting. Assets can be deleted from the Asset Library by just pressing the x button next to it. This will remove the Asset only from the Library but not from your scene.
Since version 1.0 Asset Sketcher supports importing AssetLibraries into other Scenes. Just use the "Import Asset Library" Operator and a blendfile which has an Asset List setup already
Use Asset Categories to better organize you Assets. That way it is easy to find your assets.
Use Buildin Phyics Calculation to quickly place your assets with phyics. Just select the assets you want to be calcualted and run the Operator "Calc Physics". Press ESC at any given time to stop the calculation.
- Make Single User - Objects that are added will have their own mesh data.
- Asset Distance - Defines with which Distance all objects are placed.(in Blender units)
- Z-Offset - Defines with which Offset objects are placed to the ground.(in Blender units)
- Surface Orientation - Objects are aligned to the ground normal. This slider lets you adjust how much objects are aligned.
- Random Rotation X Y Z - This 3 values define with which value your objects are randomly rotated.
- Sketch in Stroke Direction - If set, Objects will be facing into stroke direction.
- Asset Scale - Defines which intial scale the object has when it is added to the scene.(in Blender units)
- Random Scale X Y Z - Adds a random scale onto the placed object.
- Constraint Scale - Constraints the random scale values together. This way it will have a uniform random scale value.
It can only be painted on objects that are in the canvas list. Just select an object and add it to the canvas. Remove an object by pressing the x button next to it.
Shortcuts and UI
- Ctrl + Click - delets objects
- Alt + Click - picks objects directly from the scene. Works like a Colorpicker but for assets.
- Ctrl + Z - Asset Sketcher has its own Undo List. So each brush Stroke is added to the undo history and can be accessed from it.
- ESC - Ends the sketch mode
- F - Set brush size
- Shift + F - Set brush density
- Q - Change the Axis which are painted on (Only for Grid Mode sketching)
- Page Up, Page Down - Increase or Decrease sketch layer (Grid Mode)
- Ctrl + Alt + Click on and Asset autoset the sketch Layer in Grid Mode
- Ctrl + Click on the Merge Operator merges objects and deletes inner double faces of objects (handy for Grid Mode)
- Shift + Click on the Asset Select Icon will expand the Assets Selection
- Ctrl + Click on the Asset Select Icon will undselect the Assets
- Ctrl + Click on the Lock icon will unlock Assets again
When Starting the Sketchmode the user interface is locked to a certain level. You can work in the 3d view without any problems, but you cannot change the screen for that time. If you want to cancel the sketch mode, just press ESC or the Sketch Button again.
Only objects that are painted via the Addon can be deleted within the sketchmode. If the Asset Object does not exist anymore, the but is still in the Library and you try to paint with it, the addon throws a warning and exits the sketchmode. In this case I would advise you to remove the asset from the Library. The addon of course may contain bugs. I tried to squash out as many as possible, but for sure there may be some bugs still. If I update the addon in the future of course all updates will be for people who purchased it.
No FAQ's found for this product.
Purchase this item to leave a review!