UE4 Export Helper
Blender 2.80 Upgrade Status:
Important: API Freeze and 2.80 release has been delayed. Initially there was "End of October" announced, then shifted to "October / November". Now it's been delayed further to "Beginning of 2019". https://code.blender.org/2018/10/blender-2-8-beta-and-roadmap/
I will post the upgrade status of all my Blendermarket add-ons here, please come primarily to this page and/or the docs of ROA to view details about your most favourite add-ons.
- "To All" (micro add-on) - Tested and working with current 2.80 alpha
- "ROA" - Update 1: Continued to update. Add-on loads now without errors but doesn't show GUI. Check for more updates on the ROA page
- "UE4EH" - Update 4: After another fixing-marathon I uploaded now the first 2.8 alpha version. GUI should work 99%, some basic features should also work but likely not everything. Just to let you guys know things are still moving behind the scenes.
Another note: I've been asked how to get it working with the new FBX-exporter - there's no way yet, due to a number of completely different reasons: 1.) The FBX-exporter of Blender is notoriously changing, litterally every 2-3 month (x10 in the beta phase). This is not the fault of the BF, Autodesk changes the format whenever they feel so. Last time I checked the exporter was lacking a sginificant amount of features compared to 2.79. So compatibility with the new exporter won't be implemented before the final 2.8 release.
- "Blender Proxy" - Update 2: Add-on should "theoretically" work now for the most part (GUI loads correctly, calls have been updated to 2.80) but: There's still calls missing / unknown in 2.80 and some of the original functionality has to be reprogrammed from scratch (previously used layers that are now missing and need to be made to work with collections instead)
If you find additional issues that aren't listed here yet, please email to me, include as much info and preferable screenshots as possible. Thank you for helping to bring our add-ons to 2.80!
Ver. 0.3.1 / 0.4.1 Beta
Want to leave a casual comment or ask about a feature? Please contact me via my website:
All feedback is highly appreciated!
Explaining the 0.2.0 features and the different naming conventions in detail: https://youtu.be/wSSv-NYC0fI
Exporting models for Unreal Engine 4, as well as a lot of other game engines, requires a lot work to do for every model, like applying modifiers, triangulating, splitting or joining your assets, creating a lightmap UV layer and more.
The Unreal Engine 4 Export Helper automates a lot of these steps so you can prepare your model for export in a few clicks. Please watch the demo video for details (note: the demo video was made with the first version of UE4 Export Helper, there are a lot of new features already).
Designed for, but not only for UE4
Even though this add-on was built for exporting to Unreal Engine 4, most game engines require similar preparation steps - that means even if you are using a different game engine, the UE4 Export Helper can take a lot of work off your hands, work that's prone to human error due to it's repetitive nature.
Right now the UE 4 Export Helper does these steps, most are optional:
- Duplication of your selected objects
- Applying modifiers for each object
- Triangulating the objects
- Creating a lightmap UV layer, ensuring all your lightmap UVs are in proper space from 0 to 1 and don't overlap, optionally snap UVs to lightmap resolution for much better baking results
- Applying all transformation
- Centring objects before export
- Clearing parents the correct way
- Centring origin to object centre or bottom with adjustable offset for e.g. foliage and trees
- Converting curve and text objects on the fly
- Exporting into fbx format with the right settings for UE4, optionally splitting your objects into multiple files, name the files and organize them into a folder
- Support for adding, managing and exporting collision meshes on the go, supporting all 3 types (Box, Sphere, Convex shape)
- Check-up of all your objects and scene settings for errors and possible problems
- LOD Attachement and export (only available with modified FBX exporter script | Beta Release)
- NEW: Inclusion of hierarchical parent / child objects automatically (Beta Release)
Doing all of that manually for each object, may be noticing on import you forgot one step, doing it again, can easily take up to 30-60 minutes for all objects, leading to frustration and making it a time consuming process. With the UE4 Export Helper it only takes seconds.
The UE4 Export Helper also won't touch your original meshes and only works with temporary copies. That means, inside Blender you can use Blender's full efficiency by working e.g. with modifiers. As the export process is split into 2 steps, you can always do the manual work you need to do in between preparation and export, like unwrapping an object for non-overlapping UVs after an array modifier has been applied.
More features will come
I've already implemented lots of user requested features, although I'm not able to include every request I'm open to discuss any new feature request.
Note: The UE4 Export Helper is designed for a streamlined workflow for static meshes. UE4EH won't help on exporting armature or animated objects. It also won't help on exporting materials. Converting materials to UE4 may or may not be a feature in a future version, also depending on Epic's development of the importer.