Asset Sketcher is a blender addon that lets you paint objects directly into your scene. If you are a level designer or love to create scenes with lots of details, this will be the perfect addon for you. Asset Sketcher lets you populate your scene very quickly. With a variety of settings you can randomize how assets are added to your scene. With some intuitive short cuts you can delete and pick objects directly from your scene, which gives you some extra speed for designing your level. With Asset Sketcher there is no need to place/scale and rotate your objects manually anymore.
"With Asset Sketcher you will created complex Scenes as effective as never before!"
Add objects, groups and groupinstances to your Asset List. Adjust the paint distance, the scale. Finetune it by adding random values for scale and rotation. Paint objects into stroke direction. Orient objects directly to your ground. This and much more parameters can be set to give you the absolute control. Take a look at the highlighted key features in this overview here. If you want to see more feel free to take a look at the feature video.
3 Intuitive Sketch Modes
There are different needs for some worfklows. There for Asset Sketcher offers 3 types of Modes.
The paint mode lets you quickly brush Assets into your scene. With a set of paramters you customize how assets are placed.
The scale mode gives you a very presize functionality to add your assets to your scene. Use it for furniture or other types of assets were you need presizion in rotation and scale.
You are creating grid based games? This mode will be perfect for you. Just set the grid size and layer and start painting your assets.
Line Mode (new)
The line mode is perfect for placing assets in straight lines. It offers two distance modes. A fixed asset count per line, or a asset count based on the distance. Great for adding technical details like bolts and other small technical details.
Easy and Fast Physics Calculation
Create natural asset arrangements by using physics. Just select your assets and run the operator. It's as easy as that.
Asset Icon Preview
Easy to use asset preview. Having a long list with asset names can be time consuming to search through. There for the new Asset Icon Preview is implemented. This lets you easily find your assets.
Having many objects in a scene can make blender very slow. Merge Objects let you easily merge assets into one defined object. This way every stroke gets merged into the "Merge Object".
Lots of Customization
A variety of options that give full control of how your assets are added to the scene. Each Asset Item has its own set of parameters which gives you the most flexible worklow to make sure you setup everything once.
***21 June 2014***
- Fixed a cursor bug with region overlay activated in the User Preferences. Reported by Greg Zaal.
- Fixed a minor bug when no assets where in the asset list and the sketchmode was activated. Reported by Greg Zaal
- Added the feature to constraint random scale values together.
- Changed the random scale math. Now the random scale is multiplied on top of the normal scale. Suggested by Greg Zaal
- Added the option to paint objects and make them Single User Objects. This way they will have there own mesh data.
- Tested the addon with Blender 2.69 and it seems to work fine here. Added Blender 2.6x to supported versions in the description.
***09 September 2014*** Features for Asset Sketcher v0.25
- Added a paint Brush Behavior. (brushsize and brushdensity)
- Pen Pressure Sensitivity - If you have a wacom Tablet you now can manipulate the brushsize, brushdensity and asset scale with the pen pressure(Avaiable in Blender 2.72)
- Slope Threshold added (this will prevent objects to be placed on slopes)
- Asset Selection from Asset Library now possible. Just press on the select Button and all objects of one type will be selected
- Option for deleting of only selected objects. Very usefull in combination of Asset selection. This way you can delete quickly objects of only one type without even touching other objects
***11 September 2014***
- fixed ad small bug with drawing the brush circle. Had issues that is wasn't displayed on a certain ground normal.
- second fix, thought the bug was done. But now it should place objects on every normal.
- small further fix for object placing.
***15 September 2014***
- Asset Sketcher is set automatically to perspective view when starting to sketch. The internal ray_cast function in blender is not working well with orthographic view. When leaving the sketch mode the view will be restored.
***06 October 2014***
- Fixed some drawing problems
- removed object locking while sketching(had some issues here and there)
***28 October 2014*** Features for Asset Sketcher v0.3
- Added new Mode. Apart from the projection mode I have added a new Grid mode. This allows grid based object placing. For detailed information take a look at the video.
- Improved asset selection operator. This lets you expand the selection by shift + click on the select icon. And deselect by ctrl+click on the select icon.
- Lock operator for asset. With the lock operator you can lock entire asset objects in the scene. By ctrl + click assets can be unlocked again.
***27 February 2015***Asset Sketcher v0.31
- Fix for new Blender versions. There was something changed how matrices are handled in blender. This release fixes that issue. Is also downwards compatible.
***10 April 2015***Asset Sketcher v0.32
- Random Scale and Scale Property fix. Now new assets get scaled properly again. This was missed in the last bug fix release.
***23 March 2015***Asset Sketcher v0.33
- Bugfix release for blender 2.77. Blender 2.77 introduced some API changes.
***23 November 2016***Asset Sketcher v1.0.0
- Major 1.0 Update (Breaks old Asset Lists. Press Space and enter "Asset Sketcher 1.0 Version Fix". This will convert everything to the new Version)
- New Sketch Mode (Scale Mode)
- Asset Preview now available
- Import Asset Libraries possible now
- Asset Categories to better organize Assets
- Quick Physics Calculation (Great to give Assets a natural placing by just letting physics do the job)
***23 November 2017***Asset Sketcher v1.1.0
- Bugfix: Enabling Asset Preview could crash Blender when using undo.
- Asset Icon Previews can now be generated. Important, works only for saved files.
- Canvas Objects are back. Define objects that are used as canvas. All other objects will be ignored. Can be used optionally.
- Merge Object. Defining a Merge Object will put all painted assets into that object. Gives a better performance for many assets, because they are combined into one object.
- Improved stroke handling.
***04 December 2017***Asset Sketcher v1.1.1 (Bugfix)
- Bugfix with raycasting resulting in infinity loops
- Bugfix for Canvas Objects
***28 August 2018***Asset Sketcher v1.1.2 (Bugfix)
- Bugfix for calculating physics. Resulted in Blender crash.
***22 November 2018***Asset Sketcher v1.2.0
- Bugfix: Asset Distance was not coherent. Now assets are placed correctly based on their distance settings
- Feature: New Line Mode
***08 April 2019***Asset Sketcher v1.2.1 / AssetSketcher 2.0 Beta2
- (2.79) Bugfix: Importing AssetLibs to not saved Blendfiles has thrown a warning and was not possible. Fixed now.
- (2.80) Beta 2 available. A few bugs fixed and Class naming convention adapted to 2.80 standarts
***29 November 2019***Asset Sketcher v2.0 Stable
- 2.0 stable Release
*** 21 January 2020 ***Asset Sketcher v2.0.1
- Bugfix: Asset Library import did not work correctly for Blendfiles with multiple scenes.
*** 26 March 2020 ***Asset Sketcher v2.0.3
- Bugfix: DrawError in ScaleMode
- Bugfix: Paint only canvas object was broken.