New in v1.7.x
- Bug Fixes
- Added an "advanced mode", "Use Clearcoat", "Duplicate multi-user materials", "Ignore unused materials", and an option to choose between only dirt, only grungit, and dirt+grungit
- Remade Grungit node: easier to control, better quality, organized inside, and renders faster in EEVEE
- Improved Edge wear
- Normal maps are now taken in consideration when generating edge wear.
- PBR inputs for the dirt node
- Quality improvements
More information on the following link https://blenderartists.org/t/grungit-1-click-wear-and-tear-for-blender/1197208/69
What is Grungit?
Grungit is an addon that automatically and effortlessly adds wear and tear to your models with a single click. The result is fully controllable and can deliver anything from imperfections and light wear to heavy damage.
Unlike other methods, Grungit has very little impact on performance and it’s fully compatible with EEVEE, but surely the most important benefit is the considerable amount of precious time it saves.
The main goal of Grungit is to assist you, not to dictate a specific style that might not suit your needs, and it doesn't impact your workflow. That makes it very versatile and can deliver all kinds of results : You can use it to add subtle surface imperfections to give your renders an additional layer of realism, or you can make a painted surface for a machine with a lot of grunge, scratches and dirt.
Grungit is a result of over a month of work and went over several iterations and adjustments, and then it was used and tested by several artists. After listening to feedback, I improved the quality of the results delivered by Grungit, and I fixed the reported issues and bugs. I'm excited to announce that it's finally ready to be published. There are several features and improvements planned for future updates, so make sure to grab a copy and you will have access to all future updates for free, even when the price eventually increases.
What are the benefits of Grungit?
High quality edge wear, grunge, and dirt with a single click of a button
Compatible with EEVEE
Simple And Fast
1-Click PBR baking
Keeps existing materials and works with add-ons that use the Principled BSDF node.
advanced mode for more manual control
Manual hand-painting to add or remove grunge and/or dirt
Quick mode (no edge wear, useful to add imperfections and uniform wear)
Supports multiple objects and multiple materials
Animatable and adjustable in real-time
Fast render times
- Unexpected behavior on very thin surfaces when the edge wear scale is too big
- Some users reported that Grungit does not work with EEVEE in macOS. Unfortunately this is due to a bad OpenGL driver by Apple and there isn't much I (or the Blender developers) could do. In order to render with EEVEE, you need to use the PBR baking feature to convert your materials first.
- Baking many objects and materials is a bit slower than baking a single object and material
What do people say about Grungit?
Very easy and straightforward. A simple bake and ready to go with a few intuitive slides.
I like how quickly Grungit lets you test readability in hard-surfaces with the procedural wear, letting you tweak the effect to your liking through several kinds of workflows.
It greatly simplifies and reduces my workload when it comes to adding small detail to my models.
The material works really well and I don't have to make my own materials or import older ones.
It helps me visualize areas of rest vs detail in damaged metal while working on the design. While this would be optimal to do in the finished retopologized mesh, I've used Grungit while working with Hi-Poly before baking.
Grungit is an ongoing project and I'm working on improving it even more. There are several planned features and improvements, some of them are :
Add Multi-object and multi-material support(done)
- Add oil leaks, paint splatter, leaks and similar effects.
Improve grunge(done) 1-click PBR baking(done)
The price will get increased a bit with the additional work and effort I put in it, but if you are already a customer then you will get the updates for free, so make sure to get it as soon as possible.
Your feedback is important, if you have any feature to suggest or a bug to report, or you want to have more information or get support then please get in touch, I read and reply to every message
I release updates and bugfixes very often (sometimes multiple times a week), but I don't send notification emails very often as it might get annoying. If you need to use the new features and improvements, or you encountered a bug, please make sure to download the latest version first from your orders page
- Bug Fixes
- Multi-object support
- Occlusion is now affected by all objects
- UV Pack by material
- added 512x512 and 256x256 resolutions
- "Quick mode"
- Optix baking workaround
- 1-click PBR Baking
- Supporting objects that have multiple materials,
- Clearcoat support
- Improved edge wear quality, it's easier to control and works well by default
- Quality adjustments
- "(Re)create UV maps" now packs faces that share the same material (default behavior)
- Iimprovements to the dirt node, mainly a "contrast" parameter
- Minor bugfixes and quality improvements
- Greatly improved dirt layer, it looks a lot better now and it's easier to control
- Quality improvements
- Fixed the randomness (in v1.3.1)